Saturday, March 05, 2005

Romance and Relationships

It has been six years since the last time I was in a relationship with a man. Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of suitors, but none of them had made me have "the feeling." You know "the feeling"- the one where you're just stupid- you can't think straight, everything reminds you of the person. Nope instead, I've had plenty of sex and a lot of heartache. I mean really, sex can only take a person so far, there needs to be something else there to sustain the heart, the body and the spirit. So my question is .... can I get some romance? Some talking on the phone all night until the sun rises, long walks to nowhere, falling asleep together in the same bed cuddled up, blockbuster movie night, too many martinis to name the 50 states, "Let me serve you" romance. I've often wondered how it would happen ... in a library trying to write a paper and he happens to walk behind me just as I am getting up; sitting next to one another in a movie theater and we happen to like talking back to the screen; or we meet because of our connections to people that, through a small glimmer of a chance, otherwise wouldn't know one another. Romance really can happen on so many levels. But it can't be one-sided romance, both sides have to be willing to be romanced. Both sides have to be honest about it- without honesty, there is no romance, it can't thrive under false pretenses. Yes I am in a relationship with a man I have known since I was 12 years old, but we are still lacking the romance. I pray that romance finds it's way into my life and my relationship with my man.

No comments: