Thursday, July 28, 2005

Old School Relationships ... The beginning

I remember being in the second grade in Mrs. Smith's class. It was Valentine's day and we were allowed to give candy and cards to our friends. I received a card that was special from this boy name Maurice. For a third grader he was tall with hazel eyes. That day he sent me a Valentine's card and in it he asked me if I would be his girlfriend with a box for "yes," "no," and "maybe" on the card. Later on that day, after much serious contemplation that I could muster as a 2nd grader, I answered his question with a yes and I had a boyfriend, it was that simple. We ate lunch together, we played with our friends on the playground and laughed about silly things. Although I didn't end up kissing my first boy until the 5th grade or so, I knew what was relationship was- at least in my 2nd grade mind I did. My how things have changed since the days of those boxes, that question in particular. Nowadays no one asks that important question anymore. It's alot of assuming that happens between couples- never a definite, just assumptions. "So I guess because we sleep together, you think that we're a couple?" "I mean I go out with him, but he thinks we are a couple when we aren't!" The reasons, or rather excuses, could reach far beyond the stratosphere. I think if we came up with enough excuses why not, it might actually hit God in the face- give the Creator a black eye for it all. But all in all, we've either used or have fallen for many of these reasons/excuses. However, I have a strong belief that the planets will again align and one day I'll be driving in my car, speaking to a man that I've been getting to know for the past 2 months. And in our laughing about the things that have occured in our day, the conversation take on a new tone and will go like this:

"Caryn I've been meaning to ask you something."


"Okay, ask away. I'm always the one asking the questions."


"Well there's really no right way to do this."

"Well whatever you have to say, just say it. What can it hurt you?"

"You're right. Well, you know how much I like you and the past couple of months have really solidified it for me that you are the one for me."

"Okay ..."

"It's not everyday a man finds a woman like you- you have it all together and just make me feel good no matter what's going on with me. I like that feeling. You make me happy."

"Okay- you tell me that everyday. I'm just being myself, no more, no less."


"I know, that's what makes you special."

"What did you want to ask me?"

"So ... what I wanted to know is ... man this is hard ... will you be, well I would be honored, if you would be my girlfriend?"

What woman wouldn't want that?

4 comments:

melette said...

Do you know how on point this post is? I love it!!!!

LJ said...

That was sweet. And so very cute. :)

TJ said...

Man, I miss those check boxes... They sure would make life easier :)

Fresh said...

Fantastic post...it was so much simplier back then.