Saturday, July 09, 2005

An upgrade in thinking

The past few days of my life since I have come back to my hometown for an internship have been mind-boggling, at best. Not that things have really changed sufficiently since I left for college and not looked back in 1996, but how many things often stay the same, suffering from sameness, indifference and settling. A day or so ago, I sent out an email to my diva-in-training counterparts about going from good to great. I give all credit for the "good to great" ideology from Dr. Beth Triplett and a book she has gotten me reading called "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. I put the challenge out to my sisterfriends to push past only being good and not let current situations and circumstances determine their greatness. I think about countless people who didn't let their current circumstances determine what they did next. Man how a situation can stagnate a person's growth!! But it only stagnates if a person lets it happen. Even in my own situation, with money being tight, had I NOT taken the internship, I wouldn't have had this mental upgrade in thinking, and I would not have had the opportunity to learn about myself and my own drive. Besides, who got anywhere from just being a good boy or a good girl? Who the hell wants only to be a good doctor or a good writer or a good cook? In our world, we put more emphasis on being good than asking one, "What will it take for you, this job, this letter, this lasagna, this moment, etc., to become great?" Yes we can attribute many things to God, the Creator, Synergy and what ever other name you can call your Diety. Some of us attribute greatness to luck. I personally believe it is attributed to will, choice and work- you have your will to make that choice to work for it. We were all given the same amount of everything- brains, talent and will. It's what we choose to do with them that gets all of us from good to great to sustained greatness.

No comments: