Thursday, February 17, 2005

Growing up and out ...

John Mayer has a song on his last album called "Bigger Than My Body." I wonder if he was talking about how bodies change as you get older ...

I remember when I was in high school (not yet even a decade yet), I was a svelte 140 lbs. I was running track and I had an extremely high metabolism. You couldn't have told me I wasn't cute. Then I went to college and the Freshman 15 landed on me so fast, my supportive and loving mom said on a semester break trip home, "Who are you and what did you do to my daughter?" Needless to say, just walking around on campus wasn't doing it. But I managed to stay the same size in undergrad. When I graduated and got my first job, I was introduced to good living ... for those that know, it means three meals a day with snacks in between. All of a sudden, 155 was creeping up to 165 ... 166 ... you know what I'm saying! I knew that something had to be done and fast or else I'd be looking at the way I was as a memory. So I enrolled in a gym. Working out was good, at first. Then it just got expensive! Why, somebody PLEASE tell me why, it costs so much to stay healthy? But I kept on going and I started to see great results until I went through some life changes that kicked me out of going to the gym. But through perserverance, I found a new gym and great group of people to workout with (shoutouts to Dee and Sharon- the greatest motivators). But through even more life changes, I changed jobs and moved to another city for grad school and the spread has begun yet again. I'm doing what I can to maintain it, but when your fat jeans are snug, then it's gotten out of control. I think J. Anthony Brown said it best from the Tom Joyner Morning Show, "You know you are fat when your earrings don't fit anymore." And right now, I don't have the dollars for a new wardrobe for an expanding body. And let's face it, my body at 26 is definitely more mature than the one I had at 16. But that doesn't give me the right to have the Dunlap disease (that's when your stomach done lapped over your belt). SOOOO it looks like I gotta find a new gym and a new workout crew, 'cause I don't want to be "bigger" than my body frame.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Well said! I hope you keep writing because your entries are so creative!