Saturday, February 19, 2005

Love and Hair

For many of us, our hair is our crowning glory on some days and a nightmare on other days. However, when I look at my hair, I can honestly say that it can chronicle the good and bad romantic relationships I have had in my life.

When a romance is going very well, my hair is also looking it's absolute best. It's healthy and shiny, I don't have flyaways and it is full of body and bounce. You can believe that I am having fantastic hairdays when the romance is blossoming. It does anything I ask it to- if I want it to lay down, it does; if I want it to swoop to the side and stay, you better believe it does. You can see the glow, you can't miss it! But as with most relationships, when things start to take a nosedive, everything else goes down with it, hair included. All of a sudden, my hair can't do anything right, no matter how much gel, mousse, hairspray, etc. that I use. Some days, it's a miracle to get a comb through it. Even my hairstylist can tell when the relationship has gone sour by working on my hair. He can pull it taut to straighten it with a flat iron, but it will still curl up in defiance. It's then that he starts asking the hard questions of "What happened? and "What are you gonna do?" When I am trying to get a relationship to work, my hair also makes me work hard to make it look right. There have been times when I've had relationships that last as long as a "phony pony" only for it to matt up and give me more problems than the $9.99 I bought it for. And then there are those relationships that have made me take a drastic turn by cutting it all off, only to regret the chop, to get a weave to get back the length I once had. Then I get tired of trying to get it to grow, so I take the weave out and chop it off, only to put it right back in. It's a never ending cycle, at least where hair is concerned.

These days, my hair has been beautiful and it's not just because I am in love again, it's because I am in love with me. Sure, there have been days when things have been so topsy turvy that even my hair didn't know what to do. But lately, it does everything I ask of it and more. So I guess if you saw me, you can tell that I am happily in love by looking at my hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great analogy!!! Although I've never thought of it that way, I too can atest to feeling good and looking good, not necessarily directed at relationships, but life in general. When I'm feeling down and depressed, I could care less what my hair looks like! But when I feel at my best, my hair naturally HAS to follow suit!!!