Sunday, May 22, 2005

Flirting .... a lost art

Last night, I did something I rarely do anymore ... I went out to a bar on a Saturday night. I have to say that going to a bar in your late 20's is not the same as going to the bar in your early 20's. You don't want to stand in line in order to get in. You will have very low tolerance for anybody that can't put together a cohesive sentence. You really do notice who has taken the time to actually get ready to go out and who just decided last minute, and didn't take a shower to prove it, to go out and have a drink. You are bound to run into a man or two that will try to feed you a line or two. The thing about lines is that they have to be good, at least decent, in order to gain the attention. One man said to me last night, "Girl you so fine, you make a man stop breathing!" and then proceeded to show me how he actually stopped breathing. I couldn't help but laugh, and it wasn't with him. And I can honestly say that it might have helped his case if he was actually someone that I would have been attracted to, but he wasn't. Later on the in the same evening, I met another man. He didn't feed me a line, but he did invite me to a party Memorial Day weekend. It was him just being himself that led to us talking all night long. We didn't exchange numbers or anything, but it was nice to talk to someone that could actually hold a conversation. Keeping this in mind, I anticipate having more talks with men like that one. But it was more than just a nice conversation- it was the slight lean in, the "tell me about you" questions and answers, the nice smiles being exchanged. The flirting was mutual, not forced and dry. It was an easy conversation, simple exchange. The sad thing is that a lot of men don't know how to talk anymore- instead they feed you a bullshit line and swear that it works if you smile and look his way. Case and point, a girlfriend of mine ended up roped in a conversation with a man that was all up in her face and because he was in her face, she couldn't get away from him. He hit her with a, "Hey baby" and "Are you a model?" and all she did was look his way, not even looking at him but looking for another girlfriend of ours. Sad, sad, sad. I just have one piece of advice for men that think their lines work on women. Some of them may work, some of them may not- but keeping it simple and no gimmicks will always gets you an open seat at the bar.

No comments: