Monday, May 30, 2005

Learning my Lessons

It has been said that those that don't learn from their mistakes are often doomed to repeat them. Oh how tried and true this statement is! As women, we often don't listen to our gut instincts when it comes to love and relationships because we are convinced that we can fix any situation. Case and point- this weekend I got a call from a man I had serious chemistry with last year. When he and I would see one another, it was always that same chemistry, but the problem is that he would always disappear in order to "find himself." His finding himself would be for weeks at a time, oft times finding solace at his local bookstore and liquor store. This past time was no different. After weeks of not hearing from the man and writing him off, I get a call from him stating that it had been a minute since we've seen one another and he misses me. So like a jackass, I call to talk to him and we have a good conversation, but I should have known that in our great conversation that it would be a different story seeing him. I saw him the next day- still tall, stately and manly- no less annoying in his smugness and conceitedness. After four hours of some talking, him playing around and me getting beat up in the process, I'd basically had enough of it. I'd grown increasingly frustrated with him because for someone to ask the day before "would you be my wife?" (asking hypothetically, of course) to basically being a jackass, it became crystal clear that this man, as intelligent and as sexy as he is, isn't the person I want to spend my time with- it was too frustrating and draining. Damn near I asked out loud, "WHY IN THE HELL AM I HERE!!" Thankfully, it was time to go. But in my leaving he then says something profound! He says, "You shouldn't want anything I'm not willing to give." And it dawned on me, "You're right!" So I left, not waiting for him to walk me to my car. Driving away and getting on the highway, I basically made the decision not to look back anymore. Looking behind me is bad luck. If two people haven't hooked up so far and have been dealing with one another for a year, with both dating other people in the process and getting their feelings trampled on by those other people, it may not be the brightest thing to try to go backwards. Don't get me wrong, he's got some endearing qualities I would love for my mate to have- incredibly intelligent, funny, witty, sensual- but he taught me a good lesson too! Don't want for someone that doesn't want you back, you will only be frustrated.

No comments: