Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Fear of Being Liked and Loved the Right Way

I've been hurt by men far more than I care to admit. Most times I'm able to suck it up and do whatever it takes for me to forget about the person. I throw things away, delete messages and phone numbers and try not to mention that person's name if I ever have to refer back to him. There have been days when I've cried and moped or have been so mad that the only way to get out the aggression is through kickboxing or a workout so strenuous that the only thing I can think about is passing out from exhaustion. But what do you do when someone says, "I like you?" or "You're perfect for me" or "When you come back, I'll be right here?" Now I can sure take that as lip service. Lord knows that I have heard these things time and time again. But this time someone means that and I am running and pushing away because I just know that he is telling a lie just like the rest of them did, only making it sound extremely good. There's something about him, however, that says that he isn't lying. It's so surreal that I don't believe this person is real. Sure I talk to him, we hang with one another, but I'm waiting with baited breath for the other shoe to drop because I just know that it will drop. I've always asked God to send me someone that will feel the same way I feel about him, but was I too hasty in asking for this? Am I even ready for it? With the others I thought I was, and we all know how that turned out. But things are different this time around. The man is different this time around. So am I legitimizing my fear of being liked and loved the right way? Or am I being chicken shit about it because I know that I need something like this in my life? Or could it be that I'd rather he leave now before the both of us end up hurt? What a way to deal with this situation!!

No comments: